In the USA, a controversy about gambling on Twitch has now led to an announcement from the streaming platform: Twitch wants to tighten the rules for gambling from mid-October 2022. The 3 largest German Twitch streamers in the “Slots” category are reacting to the supposed ban on gambling. For Scurrows, orangemorange and gTasty, GTA 5 seems to be exciting again. Whereby Scurrows insists on his right.
This is what caused the trouble:
- In Germany and the USA there have been debates for a long time as to whether gambling on Twitch is okay: Because streamers close deals with crypto casinos and can thus compensate for losses. But not your viewers. The accusation is circulating that streamers would lead their viewers into addiction and bankruptcy.
- Twitch said they were investigating the issue, but didn’t do anything for months. Now a case has become known that the Twitch streamer Sliker became addicted and embezzled money from viewers and friends to gamble it on horse bets. Big streamers put pressure on Twitch.
- Twitch then said: On October 18, the rules for gambling will be tightened and sites like “Stake.com” will be banned – this is the crypto casino with which the largest German slot streamers are also linked.
Twitch bans gambling sites after major streamers threaten to protest
Scurrows criticizes the ban – because sports betting, loot boxes and poker are excluded
This is what Scurrows says about it: Scurrows is the largest German-speaking casino streamer with over 4.1 million hours watched in the last six months. Scurrows sued back after being banned from Twitch and has been insisting on his rights ever since.
After the gamescom controversy, he announced that he would sue back on the platform if necessary. He also took tough action against criticism from a colleague: When he saw his existence threatened, he had a React video removed by copyright and thus gave Twitch streamer AlphaKevin a Twitch ban.
Scurrows first makes fun of the Schadenfreude: Because some people apparently rubbed it in Scurrows’ nose that gambling should soon be banned. Scurrows writes, “Just applied to McDonalds: wish me luck.”
He criticizes the actual ban as hypocritical: because sports betting, loot boxes and poker are also addictive and seduce children – but they are not prohibited.
He says people like Trymacs predicted his downfall. You’re now “just broke,” people said – and because people said so, it must be true, says Scurrows, apparently ironically.
In general, Scurrows takes it easy:
- On the one hand, YouTube is an alternative
- Then Scurrows explains that you have to wait for the exact rules. Twitch wants to ban “Stake.com”, but Scurrows doubts whether that is legally okay
- Overall, it is still too early to say that gambling is banned on Twitch – that would only be a PR text, not a guideline
But Scurrows – like others – now wants to show more GTA 5 again. But just because he enjoys it, not because he has to.
“Into the slots (while you still can)”
This is how orange-orange reacts: orangemorange has 2.38 million slots watched hours on their account in the last 180 days.
The 29-year-old also makes fun of the glee of others. He says he will return to Germany, but only to get the money from the social welfare office.
He posts a picture that alludes to the “gamescom” fight in which he was involved as a sneaking cup thrower.
More important for him than the gambling ban is the message from Twitch that you will keep a maximum of 50% of the revenue – no longer 70%, as some could previously negotiate.
He apparently wants to continue with slots and posts: “Into the slots (while it still works)”.
Clips are often used to capture moments for eternity on Twitch:
How gTasty reacts: The streamer has watched 888,685 hours in the last 180 days.
He had signed up prior to Twitch’s announcement to stop streaming casino games and play GTA 5 again. He’s looking forward to that.
Ban on dancing is happy about the ban: “We made it”
How does the opponent react? The opponent of the three at gamescom 2022 was the twitch streamer Tanzban. He is happy about the announcement of Twitch and reports: “We did it.”
The “smug 2 German casino streamers” would have boasted about getting better casino deals. But now Twitch has “simply banned gambling.”
Tanzban seems to see this as a triumph:
- a user says: The casino streamers would have lost their careers – they would “never get cooperations again”
- Tanzban sees it the same way – they would have practically ruined their careers
We’ll see in a few weeks how this will continue and whether “gambling” on Twitch will really be done. In any case, orangemorange has the fifth largest channel on the German Twitch: with slots.
The “forefather” of casino streams on German Twitch has dealt with the current gambling streams:
MontanaBlack explains why his gambling on Twitch was okay – but now Scurrows and orangemorange’s aren’t